Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sydney White

January 19, 2010
I´ve watched this movie many, many times and loved it more each time but now I have a new found appreciation. It´s so wonderful to be doing this new blog thingy for me because I´m learning new things for myself in a fun way, especially since I love to watch movies. Tonight I watched “Sidney White” a modern day take on the old Snow White fairytale. It had all the normal fairytale elements like pretty girl meets charming “Prince” and evil witches and dorky sidekicks but this version had more, at least for me. It teaches a strong lesson about believing in yourself and being yourself. So many times in the course of our life we try to change who we are because of what others believe the best of us is. Well I have learned time and time again, and what this movie truly teaches us, that being ourselves is the best we can be, no matter what others think. Yah we all have our faults, our “ugly” parts, but that shouldn´t matter because when we are liked for who we are the best of us always comes out strong. Like a butterfly. It doesn´t start as the pretty insect that we see right before it dies, no, it starts as an ugly caterpillar. A creature that many people kill because they don´t know what it will grow up to be in a very short time. How would we feel if someone tried to squash us before we could blossom into the beautiful being that we can be with a little time, patience and hard work? Well, honestly, people do squash us, a lot. That is sad to say but so true. All my life I was pushed down, led to believe that I was not as pretty, smart, or likeable as others. Now that really does a number on a girl´s self-esteem. Heck I had the worst self-esteem because I believed what everyone told me. Even now there are some that can´t even see that it happened and think I have lots of issues. Well I do have issues that I work through everyday. Like I said it was a lifetime of hurt and it will take a lifetime to overcome but I am a long way from where I was 10 years ago. And a lot of that has to do with the message of this movie. I tried to always “fit in” with all the others. Soon I realized that it didn´t work and it didn´t work because I wasn´t like all the others. I couldn´t stop being me and that meant I could never “fit in” with all the rest. I´ve learned that I must continue to be me and through being me I will find true friends and maybe, hopefully, even somebody that will love me for who I am and want to share the rest of eternity with me. When we decide to be who we are and not what the others want us to be we also must make a choice to accept others for who they are. No one is perfect and we all have little quirks that drive each other crazy. But that makes it fun! We need that to keep life balanced. If we were all the same or liked each other 100% of the time life would be boring. Who loves drama? Well I don´t love it but I do think that it keeps life spicy, full of flavor. Hey, let´s be ourselves and accept each other! We may end up liking each other and being friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment