Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Way We Were

January 18, 2010
Wow did I do a god job of picking the movie today!!! So since I watched all the recent movies I bought, I know no blog yet for them, I decided to watch one of my own tonight. I actually had bought this movie because it was 1. cheap and 2. I´ve heard a lot of really good reviews about it. The funny thing is that I had never seen it yet. I watched “The Way We Were” and boy does it fit right in with my personality and what is going on in my life right now. I feel a great connection to the Barbara Streisand character of Katie. Considering I am Jewish, really I am, it´s nice to see some of the same fight I have in her. We are both very strong willed about our beliefs. We don´t back down in a discussion about any topic like politics, movies, music; you name it. And right now I am having guy issues. I mean, really, would any “knocking on 30´s door”, single, beautiful, strong, girl not be having issues? Some questions that arose while watching this movie were: Are guys really that threatened by strong women?; Is it so wrong to have opinions about everything?; and Why do guys really cheat? I don´t know about you but I think those questions will probably never be answered because it is so hard to find a guy that can be 100% honest. Really that is the deep root of the problem. Guys are not 100% honest with women. Which brings on yet another one word question: Why? I think that deep down men are afraid. Yes afraid. They are just as vulnerable as us women but only because since the dawn of time they have been portrayed as tough, strong, independent, almost emotionless beings and they haven´t been able to get away from that. On the other hand it is natural for a woman to be weepy, moody, defenseless, and dependent. So of course when anyone plays against type, like emotional men or strong women, eyebrows are arched and questions raised against them. Also it is hard for us to understand what happened when this occurs in our presence. For me I get to see the emotional side of men right before they snap back into their “normal” frame of existence and cease to be the wonderful, sweet, cute and adorable creatures I grow to love. Yes they stop being what I love and turn into the creature that is selfish, dishonest (a better term is hypocritical), and male. I stop being the strong, independent, happy women and turn into the typical weepy, moody, defenseless and dependent girl again that is the best friend to all those guys looking for someone they can not be themselves with. My “relationships” end up like Katie and Hubbell´s with a polite “I still love you” look after not seeing each other for a few years. Even though in my world that happens after just a few days, ooohhh lucky me!!! Really though the main thing I learned from this movie is the importance to be who you are and not change for anyone or anything in the world. Katie never did. Heck she was still at it while the credits were rolling. So to all those guys (or for that matter people in general) that have maybe thought, or said that Melanie Rivers is too strong and needs to be more quiet, introverted, or subordinate I have to say sorry. I will never change. I will always be the same funny, loud, cute, extremely extroverted, silly, moody, trusting, honest person I have been since I was born but with a better self-esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment